SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Short board windsurfing's a huge buzz - deep respect for the guys doing it on big waves - I found small wave sailing a physically challenging pursuit - and that was when I was young & frisky Time on windsurfers did help to refresh my dinghy techniques, in the same way now that time in a Laser helps to refresh the way you helm a 40 footer (even when cruising !) - how many times have you heard from the family "Dad we're not racing this is a family cruising holiday" I say "thanks for the feedback now just wind the genoa in some more "
Wow, I remember when Jason Polakow arrived on Maui as a 16 year old from Austrailia. He came without his family but had their blessing, he had his own place, enrolled in high school and windsurfed. We thought he would be too young to sail the big winter north swell at Maui's Hookipa. But within his first winter he was among the very best. It is good to see he did not burn out like so many in those days did in the early 90's with booze and drugs.

Jaws in those days was just a dream, we knew it existed, we would go sit on the cliff in the cane field and watch it go off for hours. It was not till Laird Hamilton and the gang figured out you could use a jet ski to tow in and that was about 1993 that anyone was able to ride the wave. I believe it was Josh Angulo who was the first wind surfer to ride the wave.

For those who don't know that in order to surf or wind surf Jaws one must put his jet ski in the water about 15 miles from the break then find a way outside the surf line and travel down the coast. The put in place is a little cove and on big swell days there is always the chance a very large wave will come ashore all the way to where people park their jet ski trailers. I remember a few trucks and trailers were not in the parking lot when the guys got back to the cove.

Thanks PCP for the vid, I'm too old to ride them anymore but I still dream it and wake up muscles tense and pumped.

Cheers

Last edited by hannah2; 12-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook