SailNet Community - View Single Post - Follow the ARC
Thread: Follow the ARC
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Follow the ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The new ap I am now using Boat Beacon and it doesnt rely on land based observers like Marine Traffic and the longest update is 2.5 minutes which I have seen. I took it out yesterday and ran it side by side with my inegrated AIS on the Raymarine systems and it was perfect.

Dave
Great reference. I may give it a shot next season.

However, it seems more than unlikely that an Ipad can be software programmed to directly receive AIS signals. They must be transmitting over the 3G network, which would mean it is land based. Try shutting the 3G/wifi signal off at home and see if you get data before and after. Or, try from your living room to see traffic in Narragansett Bay, which you could only get over the internet.

Nevertheless, if they've improved delivery time from the land based receivers to the app, that's a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook