SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Hey sea strutter!
You've got it just right. My first ship carried twelve passengers as well as cargo and they were all too old to enjoy fully where we were going. If you are only going to be in Singapore for two days you have to view sleep as optional! The ABs on board said, "they're studying for finals" an illustration I'm sure someone of your age can appreciate.
When I was in the Med. I'd run in to a lot of young people just out of college doing the hostel thing with a backpack and a Eurorail pass. Made perfect sense to me. They had the energy to see and do anything and weren't too particular about their accomodations or dining places. And they can spend the rest of their life talking about what they have seen and done, instead of what they want to see or do when.....
We used to have a saying on the ships, "what are they gonna do, send me to sea?" and it expressed perfectly that what's the worst that could happen attitude. We try, futilely, to plan our lives out to the enth degree and it never works out exactly as planned, and then, as my friend Cam states, reality intrudes and our options seem to close down.
And who knows, you could end up some place you like and go "native". Some people get set on being a "suit" only to discover that what they were really programmed for was flip-flops and baggies. Either way you'll recognize them; they're the ones with the grins on their faces.
The "grind" and "normal" life will still be here when you get back and you can jump back in any time. Down the road, a year or two seems like no time at all. For a lot, or maybe most, people life is like the Hotel California, "you can check in, but you'll never check out." Go for it.
I was lucky, they paid me to go to sea. And now my wife's dreams consist of all the places I've been.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook