SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
post #41 of Old 12-07-2006
keck314

The "grind" and "normal" life will still be here when you get back and you can jump back in any time.

That's what I need to hear.

I'm 25, no kids, finishing up a master's degree, and I'm not enjoying the idea of sitting at a desk for another 35-plus years working my butt off for three weeks of vacation a year if I'm lucky. For me, I feel like it's now or...well...a LONG time from now.

I just wish I'd been bitten by the cruising bug a few years earlier, so I'd have more saved up. Optimistically, if my GF and I both save a LOT, we might be ready to go in three years. Assuming a four year maximum cruise length, then I'd be 32.

Now I know I'll catch hell for this, but to me that seems OLD. Just a few years ago, it feels like, I was 18. I'm having a hard time realizing that I now round my age UP instead of down. The "conventional" part of my brain says that I should be settling down soon, and that 32 is just too late to get started on a career. Luckily I have you guys and my parents (children of the '60s that they were), who are more than happy to disabuse me of this notion at every opportunity; my mom switched tracks and became a lawyer at 40. So I know it can be done.

I guess I just need to hear it from someone else occasionally. Listening to oneself can be hard, and the voice is often contradictory.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome