SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any tips on parting out a sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Any tips on parting out a sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Sandy damage has caused several boats at our club to be declared "constructive total losses". Would it be worthwhile for the owners to part the boats themselves? Some have good masts, booms, standing rigging, winches, spinnaker poles, pulpits, pushpits, sails, diesels, and transmissions in addition to the ballast. If the insurance company offers a 35' boat at $3K, wouldn't those parts be worth far more. Clearly, there's an established market for the lead. Is there an effective way to market the rest? It seems wasteful to landfill it.
Possibly but it's a lot of work and time, disassembly (in winter), storage charges, advertizing etc. Disposing of the hull would be nasty & expensive too.

I'd take the settlement and let the Ins. Co. flog it to recyclers. Moving on to a new boat would be the quickest way to distance oneself from a disaster like that IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook