SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Again, and again, in reading the letter it appears the author has suffered a personal loss. Can't that just be respected?

Myself and another member both posted a copy at nearly the same time, although mine was second I still feel somewhat responsible. It was posted simply so that members who did not have a facebook account could read it.

I'm starting to feel sorry that I got involved.

Call it what you want, but, it's obviously about pain and expression. It's distressing that some of us cannot identify that and let it be.
1) Thank you for posting the item as some of us still don't have Facebook, but are very much interested in the puzzling last voyage of the Bounty. I find the opinions of peers of the Bounty's captain very interesting. As one of those behind the computer screen when it comes to tall ship sailing, I don't understand why that voyage was made into the face of Sandy by an experienced tall ship captain. My take on it was that the writer has lost a friend, and along with sorrow, sometimes comes anger at the event , and even at his friend, that caused the loss, and he was expressing that.

2) Just after the storm, I was in Beaufort, NC. The tallship 74' Brigantine S/V Fritha was docked there. I talked a bit with a crew member who identified himself as the relief captain. He said that he had sailed with the Bounty's captain and that he had several friends that were onboard on the final trip. He spoke highly of the captain, but he too was at a complete loss as to why that voyage wasn't either, never started, or once started, why they didn't see refuge in one of the numerous ports that were available.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook