SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurican Sandy Aloa 34
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurican Sandy Aloa 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDL View Post
I'm taking the plunge and buying the Aloa 34, that was swamped by sandy. It has hull rash from being on its side and the motor is TBD. The motor could be anywhere from service it and start er up - to a saltwater total loss. I'm taking the risk but the initial cost is cheap. I know, I know, "free" boat are too expensive. But this boat isnt exactly free so ... lol.

The owner says that the interior has no water dmg and that it looks like it was lifted off it's stand and then on to its side as water went out - rashing it's side, bottom, and keel. Otherwise, previous owner states that sails and riggings are all in "good" condition. I'm assuming good to fair on everything.

The boat is up in NY - NJ area on the hard. 1st problem is logistics 1) My 1st choice would be to haul it back home to TX. I could drive up hook up and pull er home. I have a full size V8 SUV. I'm not sure what the logistics of finding a trailer and whether a V8 SUV could pull it cross country. Plus there are the "wide load" and permits etc etc. - anyone knowledgeable or done this before?

According sailboatdata dot com it's a 9,000 lb boat.

2nd and less attractive option would be to 2) patch it up where it is in NYC enough to get it in the water and and sail it south somewhere that will be warmer and cheaper to work on it. I'd need advice on a DIY yard somewhere in the VA to Fl area to hole up and work on it - and find a place to stay warm at nite while I get it ship shape.

It's paid for thru the winter at the yard where it sits. If I could haul it back over the road I could do it immediately. - I'd need some advice from the members on here on how to do it without hiring it out for 10K.

If I have to sail back, I'd have anywhere from now until spring, other than having the yard pickle the motor, to get it in well enough shape to sail south. I could take 2 - 3 mo to fix and sail to TX. I'm on a fixed income so I'm doing this on as close to a shoestring budget as I can.

Suggestions?

P.S. It says i dont have enough posts to attach pictures. After some feedback about moving the boat, I'll be able to post some pics and discuss repair issues.
Considering the relative rarity of these yachts, I suspect the boat you are contemplating/buying is one that belonged to a member here aka AndreasNYC. Considering that, you might do well to work with him in your efforts to reconstruct the yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook