SailNet Community - View Single Post - Explorers to Retrace Shackleton's Epic Antarctic Journey
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Explorers to Retrace Shackleton's Epic Antarctic Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Do you have a link or reference?

Shackelton's story is, IMO one of the most inspirational examples of maritime heroics of all time.
Faster,

I agree! An amazing story of survival. I have been in awe of it since I first learned about it as a youngster. He would not have done it intentionally! He would not have tried to duplicate the struggle for the reasons, what ever they are, that set this expedition in motion. They have been practicing capsizing their unstable small craft just in case? I think he would be aghast at this adventure. Sailing single handed across the Atlantic in a small boat with most of your fingers and toes gone a-la Blackburn would make no more sense. Your preparation for that would require some uncomfortable frostbite, but it would make it real! Yikes! It is an event that can't be duplicated in the 21st century just by recreating the props.

I do wish them well for the obvious humanitarian reasons. It almost borders on a violation of Shackelton's legend. I am sure having your name, as an adventurer, spoken in the same breath with Shackelton has huge appeal. Ugh!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook