PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
NO ENGINES:
16 Foot Boston Whaler cored fiberglass, 950 pounds, $25,000
16 Foot Keylargo Fiber glass, 975 pounds, $10,000
16 Foot Duroboat Aluminum, 350 pounds, $4999

Looks like Aluminum is 1/3 weight and 1/2 price.
Bryce
So you think these boats are comparable?

Key Largo Fishing Boats
Key Largo Fishing Boats
Duroboat - The World's Finest Aluminum Fishing Boats

A Boston whaler with 16ft does not even exist. Exist a 150 (15' 4'') and a 170(17') and nobody would remember to compare these boats with the Duroboat except you

Boston Whaler | Super Sport Boats | Sport Boats | Fishing | Wakeboarding | Yacht Tender

As usual it is impossible to have a serious discussion with you, or maybe it is my fault, anyway stay with your point that seems to be that the Aluminum boats are cheaper than fiberglass boats and have not only serious problems in what regards metal fatigue as they will not last as long as fiberglass boats.

I guess that explains why on the used market a 20 year old aluminum boat has a value of about the double of a fiberglass boat and I am not talking about luxurious boats with exceptional interiors but about good cruising boats

I am out of this thread that is about steel boats, that as all adequate materials to build boats have advantages and disadvantages, not about aluminum boats and I have already talked to much out of topic. My apologies to the OP.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-03-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook