SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Chef,

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) If you were/are a good friend to the captain of the Bounty and his family, your postings would have carried lots more weight if you had said that up front. Comments from people who were close to the captain carry lots more weight than casual aquaintences or people who didn't know him.

2) To me, when one first indicates that they casually/professionally knew the captain from a visit to the Bounty, then later, when people take issue with you, you say you are a close friend to captain and his family, questions pop up in mind as to credibility since the two posts seem quite different. You took similar positions before the storm when a 16 year old new owner of a boat pleaded for advice on what to do for the storm....you took a position and only later after much posted argument against your position, you said that you were more involved with discussions with the boy's parents. Similarly, when you road out the fringes of Sandy at a pier, you talked about the how revealing that experience was, only after people questioned the wisdom of staying aboard, you described having experience to judge the risk, and talked about other, worse storms. To the casual reader, the question arises, which story is the real one. (Don't take too much issue with the words I've used, as I didn't go back to pull out exact quotes). Just a suggestion, the whole story up front will probably get fewer attacks to the postings.

3) I'm sorry that you lost a close friend. Despite his vast experience and being a nice guy, he, for whatever reason, made the wrong call. I once saw a fatal plane crash where the pilot was a big advocate for safety in the aviation industry....he was also an aerobatic pilot and at a local show, simply ran out of gas too low and in wrong attitude to make a dead stick landing.

Last edited by NCC320; 12-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook