SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

I was conveying what the power curves show from the Manual. The 3GM30F was advertized at 29 hp, I believe, but that must be at maximum revs. Assuming the data is correct in the Yanmar manual, when I cruise at 26-2800 rpm. the engine is producing around 15-17 hp at the flywheel and even less at the shaft. At 3000 the engine feels like it's revving too high and I'm pushing it too hard. I reach my hull speed of around 6.5 knots at around 2600 rpm. Pushing it any higher just results in diminishing returns.

Maneuvering an A35 in close quarters is difficult. In reverse you have virtually NO control until you gain enough speed for the rudder to grab some water. Keel attached rudders have much less effect than rudders farther aft. I always approach any dock on my port side so that the prop wash in reverse will kick the stern in even if I have to wait to get in. Slowing forward momentum takes a Loooooong time. Everything needs to be planned and done in slow motion. I would also suggest putting a midship cleat in to use as a spring line attachment. The A35 has no midship cleat. Jon Eisberg gave me a great idea for installing cleats (which I did) a few months back so look up old posts from last summer for the details.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook