SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
All that being said, Roger, doesn't change the fact that there are other, better, worthier ways to express grief and an informed opinion .....
Utterly beside any point I was trying to make. I merely observe that the letter was written by one of about a dozen people in this country best able to understand Wallbridge's position and options when he was sitting in New London and later at sea. He is one of the few people who have sailed an historic replica wooden ship around extensively on deep water routes. If the letter is all you say it is, the fact that someone like Jan was moved to that extent is significant. I take no issue with anyone not liking the letter. That's an entirely separate question that I'm not addressing.

Quote:
I referred to you on the first page of this thread as a retired NA because that is how you refer to yourself
I know how I refer to myself. It was the context of your usage which I may not have properly interpreted.

Quote:
But, you and jan and any of the other credentialed experts on ship handling and construction who have offered input on this tragedy are no more psychic than I or anyone here....none of us can say with certainty what the captain's intentions, thoughts, or plans were..
You are attributing intentions to myself and others here without any basis. I don't expect any certainty here about that and I don't think anyone else does. In fact, the essence of this story is the utter mystification and sense of What the hell was he thinking? that this event raises.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook