SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post

Quote:
Agreed, however, the forecasting of this storm was incredibly accurate in the end... Still, looking at this ensemble of models the day before leaving New London, Walbridge would have to be delusional to think they could "skirt" that storm...

I can see his idea of ducking inside and getting a "ride" south. Its insane, but I can see it. There was a while where they were telling Claudene that " Bounty loves hurricanes" so they were that deluded. If the hurricane had gone farther east like most do, he would be in St. Pete telling kids that right now.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Even if the storm had followed any of those projected tracks, it still would have passed within 3-4 degrees of latitude below Hatteras to the SE... With a storm that vast, even if it had taken a more easterly track, I believe the sea conditions in the area where BOUNTY met her demise wouldn't have been all that much different, than from that which they eventually experienced...

Remember, the conditions - especially the windspeed - were not all that extreme when things began to go pear-shaped... I think it was primarily the sea conditions that did her in, and they still would have been pretty horrendous in the Stream, 80 miles SE of Hatteras, even in the event of such a monstrous storm having tracked much further offshore...

One would have thought a captain who claimed to have once experienced 70-foot swells from a hurricane several hundred miles distant, might have had a greater appreciation for that fact...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook