SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brob76 View Post
Looks like a nice boat but the asking price is exceptionally high. Sounds like the owner is trying to recoup the costs of the re-power. I bought my A35 three years ago (1962 Hull# 54 - Auriga) and paid $7500. They were originally asking $19000. It was in about the same shape as the boat you're looking at. It had been well cared for but as in your case, nothing had been upgraded (except the engine) for many many years.
Maybe the pictures are deceiving. I would not describe this boat as "well cared for". Looks like all he did was sail her. In addition, he's made no effort to clean her up for show (lines are just strewn around, not even coiled, the head could use a cleaning, etc.) Worse yet, she is tied badly on the end of a dock were she doesn't fit. Next to her, in her previous spot sits his new boat. A lovely cruiser that looks like it would laugh at Cape Horn! The contrast is stunning. He's really not giving this old girl a break! I think it's safe to assume he's not in marketing!
I assume the asking price you are referring to is the one mentioned by another member earlier in the thread. The owner was asking 14,500 when I looked at her, and I was thinking of offering 7-10K. That was before I confirmed that she is probably under powered. What a shame...A brand new diesel in a 45 year old fixer. The only thing she has going for her is that she is a Alberg and has a new motor, and it appears, its the wrong motor!

Quote:
The Formica bulkheads are a great surface for painting. I sanded mine with 220 and painted them with with 1-part polyurethane. I also re-varnished all the interior mahogany. Looks great and was a relatively quick and easy project.
Any pictures of the interior?

Quote:
If your rigging is original as mine was, that's one of the first things you'll need to look at.
The owner claims the standing rigging was done just before he bought her, 13 years ago. Looks OK.

Quote:
I documented some of my projects on the Plastic Classic Forum.
Thanks for the link. Very informative. Nice of you to take the time to share with others in the middle of a refit! Thanks also for this informative post.
Was the Helmsman's chair the PO's joke?! How was someone supposed to use it when the tiller was down in the cockpit, two feet forward and pointed away from the chair? Maybe he was going to install a wheel, and put the chair in first!
The one thing this owner did, was install a hatch in the Salon to improve ventilation, but it looks rather odd. Seems like there must have been a more appropriate (retro) solution. And then...(as you point out) there's the question of if it was installed correctly (Just noticed acorn nuts were not used!).
The toe rails need replacement as well. I'm thinking that access below might be hindered by the head liner. Has the head liner been a problem in your refit? For example, do you have access to fasteners to re bed the grab rails on the coach top?

BTW, her hardware is all original. That doesn't bother me, I could certainly live with it (seems to function and I like the charm). However, considering I've seen several A35's in much better shape with many more bells and whistles (i.e., ST winches) asking 20,000 (probably taking 15K), and the motor issue, this boat is looking less attractive by the minute. He would almost have to give her to me for it to make any sense, and he's not going to like that option! Seems he made three bad choices. Neglecting a nice boat, putting a new motor in the neglected boat, and choosing the wrong motor, presumably to save a few bucks. At least the Ericison I mentioned earlier in the thread had the correct new motor to propel it's "flotation device"! Both sad situations!
Silly me....I keep thinking that as handy as I am, I can make sense out of bringing these girls back to life. However, as others have pointed out, unless you just want to do it for the love of it (I don't, I'm still working), you can't make cents out of others mistakes and neglect of a boat as you can in Real Estate. My problem is I don't like Real Estate as I love boats! I any case, I think you guys brought me back to my senses. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125120957.jpg (25.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1125121012.jpg (42.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1125121124.jpg (26.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1125121057.jpg (25.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by L124C; 12-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook