SailNet Community - View Single Post - new trick for removing head hoses!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: new trick for removing head hoses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
well this winter I'm replacing my head, all the hoses, holding tank, the works.
First thing I decided, I wish to not have a toxic mess to clean up! after having the tank pumped before hauling, i carefully studied the spaghetti mess of plumbing connecting all the bits together. my set up entails the hoses snaking through various cabinets, shelving, bulkheads etc.. no matter what I would have to lower open ends of the hoses to remove through the various parts of the boat. heres what i did that kept my sanity and my lunch in check. i carefully decided my places to cut{higher is always better here!}
then using a fine blade on a sawzall would make a cut,{heres the neat part!}
I took a can of expanding foam{same stuff you use around the house to fill cracks and crevices} and shot a healthy blast into both ends of the just cut hose. any odor was quickly sealed! btw, this is not the time to be frugal !
fill that hose a good six inches or so! continued making cuts and filling the open ends with foam, then when all cuts where done left the boat for the week{a day would have probably been just as good} came back the following weekend and sawed off the extra bits of sealant that oozed out of the hoses
and then proceeded to remove them without spills, smells, no drama!
Another trick I read about is to wait for a hard freeze.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook