SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honda Guy Here...
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: Honda Guy Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor View Post
Hi Robert, and thanks for starting this thread. I have a fairly new Honda 5-HP 4-stroke outboard on my sailboat. It's very thrifty on fuel but has one major disappointing drawback - if left sitting for 4-weeks or so, the carb gums up and it will either fail to start or run very rough. This is a very common, recurring problem that leaves me questioning my choice of motor. My dealer says that the low speed jets in the carb are really small and prone to fouling. I always disconnect the fuel line and let the engine run out of fuel after each use. Our Arizona summer temperatures likely hasten the break-down of the fuel and the creation of gum and varnish deposits.

Starting in June, I've been running LL100 aviation gas in it, and it has gone 6-weeks between uses and still starts and runs well.

Is this the answer to my problem - av gas? Is there a better answer? Is there any downside to using av gas? Yes, it's expensive; but, I haven't missed any sailing days since using it, and it's cheaper than having my carb cleaned several times a year.

Thanks for any info that you can share.

- Bob
That's not a honda problem, it's physics. The jets are the size the have to be. All small motors are having problems like this nowadays. The solution is to avoid gasoline with Ethanol in it. AV gas is one way but there is probably a cheaper alternative. see Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada for a station near you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook