SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012

Sic Semper Tyrannis is on a distinguished road
I have a 62 A35.

Sailing:

She loves to sail at 15 degrees. Reef early and often and you wont have to worry over weather helm and she will still make good time.

Don't pinch or you will just go sideway. Keep her driving.

In light air she does fine. Ghosting through the lulls. But you cant pinch her!

She is heavy and will ghost through the lulls.

Docking:

You will never get her to back anywhere but into the wind unless you get good with using propwash and prop walk. With a big rudder and a blast from prop wash you can usually do alright.

Has a universal.m35 in her and i wouldnt go smaller.

Interior:

She is not a floating condo like a modern 35 footer. But she will sleep more people than you really want to cruise her with.

We would load 3kids and my wife and I and go cruise. But I would not do that with 5 adults! Maybe 4 for a weekend.

Or 2 for a month.

Lots of drawers, cubbies and hidden pockets for storage. Lots of room in keel for water tanks and a real bilge.

Formica isn't the greatest but it is maintenance free. Enough wood trim to make her look good. I think of painting the panels but simply cant bring myself to do it. worried about scratches.

The liner would not need to come out to remove the toe rails.

Exterior:

Nice bulwark that provides great footing. Nice wood toe rail.

Cockpit is not huge and tiller does take up some room.

Decent sized fixed ports for light below.

4 opening ports and 2 dorades for good ventilation. No seahood over companionway hatch.

Structure:

Overbuilt.
Even if the balsa core has some water the inner and outer skins are massive compared to modern construction.

The glass in the hull is very thick and uses cloth with no chopper gun tigers anywhere.

Chain plates are big and visible and bolted to major plywood bulkheads.

The thing is a beast.

Rig is simple and overbuilt too.

Looks:

You will always smile as you approach her, you will always turn back for one last look as you leave and you will almost always get compliments !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook