SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Wow, the technology seems to be changing with increasing rapidly. I still like my Garmin plotter because of its durability and features but it looks like in the near future everything, including free charts, current data, AIS, navigation, land features, anchorages, points of interest, places to stay, eat, shop, etc. and weather will be at your fingertips on an iphone. I have a couple of computers I use for navigation as well as the Garmin unit. They may soon be replaced by an iphone.

Follow-up: After a little research it seems that these phone and pad devices do not have actual GPS capability. They gather second-hand signals from "hotspots" on shore via wi-fi. This does not sound reliable at all. I suppose you could input an external GPS puck-type receiver but then you'd lose the portability factor which is what makes the idea attractive. I have a GPS puck for one of my computers which works out pretty well but is not like the internal GPS in a plotter.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook