SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

I lost a longtime friend of mine years ago in a snowmobile accident. It was completely preventable and completely the fault of my dear friend. After her wake, at her house where her widowed husband and motherless children now lived, I told her husband I was really mad at her. He looked at me surprised. I had lost a best friend. He had lost a wife. And I wasn't mourning and reminiscing about all the good times we had enjoyed since grade school. I was talking about how selfish it had been of her to see just how fast that new snowmobile she just bought would go. Her widowed husband looked at me, then understood. His eyes said, yes, it was foolish and very selfish.

When I read Miles' letter criticizing Robin Walbridge, I thought, "That's already been said", "That's all hindsight", and many other things already said here. But at the end I realized Miles and Walbridge enjoyed a friendship and maybe Miles was just getting his anger out for his friend's foolish and selfish actions.

Whatever comes of this tragedy, I just hope that it leads to a reduction in senseless deaths and an increase of placing common sense and safety before profit, ego or any of those other things that compel people to take unnecessary risks that puts lives on the line.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook