SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Thanks. Can you post a link to a spec page that shows GPS and not just A-Gps. That was all I could find when looking at them. If they do have a GPS receiver like the Nuvi or chartplotters, I'd be very tempted to try one. Someone mentioned that the A-GPS was not reliable so I appreciate your info on that. My brother sailed with me for a few days last year and it was really handy using his iphone to locate things ashore. I have so far avoided getting on the iphone bandwagon but it may be time.

I agree that the way for Garmin to keep up is to go with this trend. I think proprietary mapping technology is quickly coming to an end and that soon chart data will become public information, as it should be. NOAA led the way on this by making all the US charts available in raster and ENF formats. Brazil, NZ also have free chart downloads. It's a safety issue above all. Governments should never have secreted publicly funded data to be used for profit. I wonder when the Admiralty charts will also become public information?

Last edited by smurphny; 12-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook