SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best iPhone and iPad apps for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Thanks. Can you post a link to a spec page that shows GPS and not just A-Gps. That was all I could find when looking at them. If they do have a GPS receiver like the Nuvi or chartplotters, I'd be very tempted to try one. Someone mentioned that the A-GPS was not reliable so I appreciate your info on that. My brother sailed with me for a few days last year and it was really handy using his iphone to locate things ashore. I have so far avoided getting on the iphone bandwagon but it may be time.

I agree that the way for Garmin to keep up is to go with this trend. I think proprietary mapping technology is quickly coming to an end and that soon chart data will become public information, as it should be. NOAA led the way on this by making all the US charts available in raster and ENF formats. Brazil, NZ also have free chart downloads. It's a safety issue above all. Governments should never have secreted publicly funded data to be used for profit. I wonder when the Admiralty charts will also become public information?
I dont have a direct link...Apple itself doesnt go into great detail other then to blurt out info on A-gps and Glonass...just know that the GPS can be assisted (A GPS) but also stands alone...I have personally used it in the Bahamas (iphone 4s)..cell and wifi off (also not available), garmin chartplotter by my side...works like a charm...here is a video that I found on youtube ( not me) but an example (using the Navionics app).

I suspect that since most regular apps are streaming data and maps as opposed to downloading them to the device like these marine and aviation apps do that Apple doesnt speak much of its stand alone capabilities because without downloaded maps (that most people do not have) it wont show you where you are as the program that is native to the iphone is a streaming nav app ( you have to purchase the maps for it to stand alone and then it is no problem)....As stated before...the only thing that the GPS does when not able to use AGPS is take a minute on initial startup to locate the satellites as it does not keep a satellie location almanac stored on the phone...the wait is small and you probably wouldnt notice (not worse then any other hand held unit)but it is worth noting.

Last edited by jhorst1; 12-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook