SailNet Community - View Single Post - Honda Guy Here...
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Honda Guy Here...

Robert,

Nice to have you here. It's always fun to have access to someone with insider information from the manufacturers.

Have you guys given any thought to making a small (2.5hp or smaller) high thrust outboards? For a lot of small sailboats (say less than 30 foot) we really don't need a 8hp engine, but the small 2.5 is difficult to use because it just cavitates like crazy at anything much more than idle. These are almost exclusively displacement boats, and a prop pitched for planning speed just doesn't work very well.

The other question I have is would it be possible to bring a very small outboard to market? Say 1hp. Most racers want the lightest outboard we can find regardless of the hp. Which has resulted in a huge increase in the old 2 stroke prices. Most of the time a 2hp working 2stroke is going to actually cost more than a new 2.5 from you, just because we need the reduced weight more than the extra hp. It just seems silly that the last motor I bought actually cost me more for a 20 years old motor than a new one would have cost, just to get a sub 20lbs motor.

There is a pretty big market for a sub 20lb motor, regardless of price, or hp rating just to hit rules requirements.