SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Stop the boat."
Mark, that's usually impossible while you're flying a chute. In order to do a MOB recovery while flying the chute, you have to do a high speed pickup.

Blowing the chute, stopping the boat, all fine concepts but then you are no longer flying the chute. I mean, I've seen all sorts on interesting theatre with a chute, but I've never seen someone stop a boat while stilll flying it. (WEG)
Well think about it. Your on the helm flying a chute. Your lover goes over the side. Upwind. So what's the easiest, quickest thing to do? Spin the wheel and get the boat directly upwind. The spinnaker backs. Boat speed has taken you half way to the MOB. You get the engine on. Clear lines. MOB has probably swum have the remaining distance. Motor up to MOB. kite still wrapped. pick up MOB and then sort out Kite.

Look, the concept sounded pretty stupid to me when I was first told it 12 pr 13 years ago. But after thinking about it, and practicing it, it gets to be a better and better idea, to me. If you want to do it another way, so be it. But in dousing a kite you have to take your eyes off the MOB. Spinning up to Wind you don't. by the time the kite is on board how far are you down course? Five hundred meters? Well look for a bobbing head at 500 meters.

Have a ponder on it for a day or two and see what you think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook