SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Gotta chime in on why people go from small aluminum boats to relatively larger fiberglass one's especially fishing boats. I'm from MN and have had both. Now I've converted to sailing a 27' fiberglass boat on Tampa Bay.

Aluminum fishing boats...ie Lund, Alumacraft, are less expensive than a similar sized fiberglass boat. They are easy to trailer so you can take it with your light truck or crossover SUV to whichever of the 10k lakes in MN you want to fish that day.

Since they are lighter they ride really rough. Eventually the walleye or bass fisherman get's tired of taking a pounding and buys a bigger truck and a fiberglass fishing boat. They are not at all concerned about hitting a submerged shipping container and sinking 1000 miles out in the ocean. They do care about how much drier the ride is on the heavier boat.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Your experience with aluminum boats mirrors my experience and likewise that of most aluminum boat owners.

It clearly illustrates why big aluminum boats are not popular. And it goes directly to the root of the discussion of this thread. The OP clearly mentions both aluminum and steel boats. He is looking for the experienced opinion of metal boat owners.
Bryce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook