View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I dont think they are opposed to families...just liveaboard ones

Maybe they dont want what could be a proliferation of run down houseboats with lots of teenage kids etc. Kind of like a Trailer Park on the water . Not saying this is you, but look at the possibilities here.

Dave
Wow. The attitude you've just described is exactly what liveaboards battle from the less knowledgeable outside world. Stereotyping looks ugly no matter who is painted, doesn't it?

We have weekenders at our marina who maintain their boats meticulously ... and those who show up every Friday evening to get drunk with their friends, and stay that way until Sunday afternoon and never leave the dock. We have liveaboards who are one step above being on the street ... and others who get up every weekday to drive to high-level professional jobs. There are boats that are never visited at all, just rotting in their slips.

A responsible marina will look not at how many nights you spend on your boat, but at how you maintain it and what the "boat" is. Many marinas here don't allow houseboats. Some mandate that you move the boat under its own power - i.e., get away from the dock - at least once every x months. Define the problem that you're really worried about, whether it's unseaworthy boats, unsuitable behavior, pollution, and mandate that. Much more effective than the blanket stereotypes.

Julienne - Speaking of stereotyping, I've also read that some marinas in Calif. won't allow living aboard boats less than 35 feet because they've determined that anything else doesn't have enough space. Weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook