SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

I've had the Kiwi on for three years now and it's still looking good. Singlehanding, the primary consideration for me was the grip. I painted down around all the rounded corners and sloped areas to minimize any slippery spots. The only place where it shows any problem is where some of the gel coat crazing is "spidering" through in a small area where the core was not replaced. I just got a quart to do some touch-up next spring. The stuff also blends in very well after repairs as I found out after removing the balsa and re-glassing solid under my mast step. Up in the bow where anchoring activity takes place constantly, it has held up remarkably well.

There really seems to be no avoiding an occasional unintentional jibe. The safety factor alone in at least slowing down the boom from taking your head off is worth having some kind of brake in place. The boom swings about 1" over my head, not much room for error!!

Last edited by smurphny; 12-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook