SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

olmoose is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Well Greetings Forum Friends, I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce myself. My first post and another confirmed Alberg 35 owner and lover.

I have hull #11 and it was (reportedly) built in 1961 by the Pearson Brothers prior to their founding Pearson Boats. I have owned her for around 9 years now and have done some racing and some offshore cruising but primarily weekend sailing getaways. It was professionally restored at great expense by a PO over 15 years ago. It is now somewhat "long in the tooth" and will require more attention, but not for safety or seaworthiness, non-skid excepted.

I find the sailing qualities excellent. Having said that, it was an acquired skill to learn her idiosyncrasies having sailed other in theory more modern designs. The full keel and rudder design do require some learned technique. I find myself now able to sail her (single handed) as I did my other more modern vessels. I plan accordingly and always sail with a clean bottom. I never plan on backing into a tight quarter and when I back I try to use momentum and remain in neutral. I usually sail onto and off of my anchor.

My Wife and I spent several months cruising Bahamas with her and I confess my love of this vessel is not shared. She would much prefer a larger yacht. I find myself treating her like a piece of fine furniture and dote excessively. Hence my comments regarding the non-skid. I have all but scrubbed it off!

For me her beauty lies in her simplicity. I do have refrigeration, modern Yanmar 3-GM, manual windless and a chart plotter. Not much else. Not much to work on or break down. Modern self-tailing winches help me single hand, but rigging still resides at the mast. Mine is a tiller and I use a simple electric linear drive autohelm (of which I keep a spare).

I guess my intro is running a little long! Oh well, my opinion (and we all know about opinions) on the Alberg 35 (as a species, not a comment on any particular vessel) is this. For the money; you will not find many vessels as seaworthy, fine sailing, well constructed with beautiful lines as the Alberg 35.

And, Hi all!
Olmoose
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook