SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main Halyards - Back to cockpit or keep at mast?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Main Halyards - Back to cockpit or keep at mast?

Quote:
Dumb question to those with sail-gathering-devices - when you lower your main, don't you still have to go on deck to secure it?- Sailorman
No. I can wait till I have anchored or am at the dock to tie up the sail. With our EZ jacks ands strong track systerm the sail flakes dopwn nicely and sits on the boom nestled between the jacks.

Quote:
Even though I usually sail solo, I also believe in the benefits of occasionally raising my fat ass off the cockpit seat and walking five feet to the mast or even ten feet to the foredeck to sail the boat.There is no shortage of folks on sailnet who will advise you to buy, buy, buy more unnecessary crap for your boat.Jameswilison29
I also sail solo quite a bit and it has nothing to do with getting off your fat ass IMHO and those of you who dont want to follow your advice are not having trouble getting off of our fat asses either. There is a certain amount of safety when the wind is 20 with 6 foot swells and you are solo to being able to just drop your main into some lazy jacks from the SAFETY of your cockpit or eef quickly and not expose yourself to climbing on the coachroof or deck out in the open. Buying things for you boat which can decrease the safety risks should never be considered uneccesary crap.

For instance I notice you have cup holders on your boat. They are uneccesary as is the bimini. Onviously you have them for comfort.

In additon one persons unecessary crap is anothers choice to have. I would not be so fast to denigrate others choices so boldly. The OP was asking opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook