SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maintain character of teak decks with nonskid
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Maintain character of teak decks with nonskid

Ah, that makes sense. A lot of work to remove and then properly clean out and fill every hole but if they aren't cleaned well, the fill will pop and the new surface with it. I've heard of folks just filling (with thickened epoxy) and then applying a textured antiskid over it. The prep and masking for clean edges are the whole trick, rolling it on is probably exactly the same as what you did in the navy, but you'd use white instead of gray and a smaller roller. (G)

I haven't met the synthetic cork sheeting in person but that stuff looks damned attractive to me. Insulation, padding, extra leak-proofing over the filled holes...it might be worth seeing if any of those vendors are at upcoming boat shows, or asking for a sample. I know some have professional installers trained for their materials but obviously, a couple of heavy coats of white antiskid will be a lot cheaper and, after all, that's how a lot of decks always looked.

The gray "treadmaster" rubber type material is another option, that also looks pretty good and covers a wealth of sins. That stuff I know holds up very well, it just may not look as pretty.

You'll have plenty of time to check out options while "counting all the holes in Albert Hall" as the old Beatles song goes. (G)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook