SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

The other thing I don't get is why there is a desire to stop the boat while you're sleeping. The more distance you can cover the less time you have to spend out there and the less times you'll be needing sleep. And stopping the boat does not lessen your chances of being run down. If it's safe enough to sleep, it's safe enough to keep moving.
Exactly...

I'd make a similar argument against concentrating your sleeping during daylight, as opposed to at night...

Daytime conditions are when you are best apt to be sailing the boat to its fullest potential, and maximum performance... Carrying a spinnaker, for instance - even on a crewed boat, one might be less inclined to do so at night...

Sail for speed during the day, then throttle back and get your rest at night, when your body and mind are gonna benefit from it most, anyway... And, frankly, I think the watches on most ship's bridges are somewhat more alert at night in general, and might naturally tend to relax, or let their guard down a bit, during daylight...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook