SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabsailor View Post
Ok, on a more serious note maybe I am just really naive but I donít get it. I mean what is it? 40-50 miles? Ask a few questions, use some common sense and go. You leave after breakfast, you get there for dinner, you pick a nice day and you go. What?
Well, first off, simply getting there is the easy part...

The Bahamas can present some pretty serious challenges, and even experienced cruisers come to grief over there every year... The islands are not all pink sand beaches, and gin-clear waters lapping gently up to them... Not difficult at all for a newbie to get into trouble, and perhaps find himself a LONG way from any assistance when it happens...

I don't think the suggestions here to knock around a place like the Florida Keys for a month or two first, are at all unreasonable, or overly cautious... I'm guessing few of the "Just Do It" brigade have ever laid eyes on a Bahamian "Ironshore", or suddenly found themselves anchored to weather of one, after a strong front has moved through in the middle of a February night...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook