SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the age of your boat?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the age of your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaldur View Post
My ship was built in 1935. I will never be able to outlive the ship, even if I get the same care and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo View Post
Our sailing boat was launched for the first time in 1939, she is a one off, bilge keel and has a lot of the original equipment (spars, layout below, fittings) she is a lot of fun and very comfortable. The original designer and part builder, built three, the first in the mid twenties, out of wood 25ish ft long, she is currently in a floating museum (the fixings are getting a bit questionable) then ours in the late thirties 48ft long and then the third in the sixties, 50ft long.
The first two are in the UK, the third is on the west coast America (having been sailed to Australia and back to the USA) the second two out of steel.
Sorry can’t seem to post a photo
I was reading this thread bemused at all the youngins talking about the age of their adolescent boats. It's about time some adults joined the conversation!

Oceana, a 36' ketch was made of steel in Holland in 1938. 74 years young!
She used to be owned by guy Williams (Zorro, Lost in space) and walt and Roy disney have both sailed aboard her.

currently on the hard for an extensive refit

Last edited by xymotic; 12-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook