SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

This is sad, plain sad. If I saw this sort of dialog on my teen-age daughter's Facebook page, I'd tell her that she was acting like a middle-schooler. In my 55 years of living, I learned a few things including that when someone starts calling people names, they're generally insecure and have lost the debate in which they were engaged. So they lash out, often ineffectively. If one is not on the receiving end, it can be quite humorous to watch.

So here we are, yet again pontificating in the comfort of our dry, stable homes on what a professional mariner should or should not have done. The reality is that for the most part, we are clueless as to the precise circumstances surrounding the sad event. Yet we feel that we must be heard and that our opinion is golden.

Shame on us. Calling Dave a Nazi? Seriously? He's knowledgeable and a good person. In no way does a statement like that constitute a debate; it's meant for only one purpose - to be hurtful. If my kid did that, I'd be ashamed of her and of myself for what I apparently failed to teach her. Dave has shown his generosity of knowledge and of person countless times, often at personal expense..... he once went out of his way to visit my wife and I on Victoria when he could have just driven home after a long day at work.

I sincerely hope that we take a moment to think about our spirit of generosity toward each other, think about how senseless personal attacks are, take a moment to put ourselves in other's shoes, to understand that the world does not revolve around us or our blessed opinion. If for no reason than that it's the right thing to do.

You're a good guy Dave - chin up! I've also learned that if the critters are nipping at your heels, you must have something that they want!