SailNet Community - View Single Post - What boat is this?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012

Zorropisa is on a distinguished road
Re: What boat is this?

Hello,

I owned this yacht for about ten years between 1976 and 1987. I bought it from Bo Stugemo in Stockholm (Sweden), who was the first owner. I think he bought the prefabricated hull and then furnished it himself. The name of the yacht was then Charossa. I spent some years rebuilding and making her shipshape and ready for ocean sailing. I sailed her for 7 years in the Baltic (made cruises to Denmark and Poland and around the Swedish coast) and then, 1985, set off from Stockholm for Brazil (Kiel Kanal, North Sea, North Spain, Lisbon, Madeira, Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde Islands, Amazon River in Brazil, Devil's Island, and then through the West Indies and Puerto Rico ending in Fort Lauderdale in Florida). In January 1988 I sold her to a couple, whose name I do not remember (I don't think they are the present owners).

Originally Charossa had a 2-stroke Fähre-Göta petrol engine (12 hp). In England, on my way out, I changed to a Volvo-Penta 1 cylinder Diesel engine (9 hp). When I saw that there now is a Yanmar Diesel in her, I first got surprised. "What? What was wrong with my new, nice Volvo Penta?" Then I realized that the Volvo Penta was installed in 1985 and we now have 2011, so 26 years has passed. You kind of loose your perspective on time when you get older.

Charossa, now Rosa Salvaje, is a classical Swedish double ender called a "Laurin koster", designed by the legendary Swedish yacht designer Arvid Laurin. You can find Laurin kosters from 26 to 44 feet (28 ft like Rosa Salvaje -- called L28 -- and 32 ft -- called L32 -- are the most common). They were designed for ocean cruising and are at their best in real bad weather when few modern yachts can compete with them regarding comfort and speed. They are also known to be very dry boats, i.e. no water leaking in. They are built in very high quality, overdimensioned fibre glass, which makes them extremely strong. The rudder mountings are very strong and I have never heard of a Laurin Koster loosing the rudder.

It makes me very happy to see that my old yacht is still there plowing the ocean waves and doing what it was supposed to do. I think that Arvid Laurin looks down from the sailor's heaven and smiles.

Happy Sailing!

Krister Renard
krister*gluefox.com (change * to a @)
Uppsala, Sweden
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook