SailNet Community - View Single Post - Top 10 Sailboats Easiest & Best to Single Hand
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Top 10 Sailboats Easiest & Best to Single Hand

Hmmm interesting question.

Easiest will be small but 'BEST' ? may be quite large.

I am a full time liveaboard and single hand about 50% of the time in fairly coastal conditions although the passage I am doing tomorrow is one of the rougher ones St Vincent up to St Lucia with a known acceleration zone and rough sea spot to the north of St Vincent.

My boat is a fairly light 44ft cutter with roller furling on the headsail only. I would say that having a roller furler on the staysail as well would make things easier and as I get older [ 65 now ] I might add this. I have slab reefing on the main and would not change this. Mainsail hoist and reefing lines are not lead aft.

With good forecasting I rarely need to reef on passage and the strongest conditions I would choose to sail in require that I use the first reef on the main and staysail only. 30 knots gusting 35.

When conditions are rough and seas are short [ the dreaded Caribbean two step ] my old lady maintains way much better than a 32 footer. So maybe this is best?

BTW she is a New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 and very definitely NOT FOR SALE OR HIRE.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook