SailNet Community - View Single Post - Have you ever hit a shipping container?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Have you ever hit a shipping container?

CBin-
" they probably don't float all that long "
You'd be surprised at what floats and how long it floats. Anything boxed with foam styrene inserts, like all electronics and appliances, has that buoyancy forever. Big old heavy TV sets with leaded glass picture tubes? Yeah, they had positive buoyancy forever because of the volume in the picture tube. I guess sailors should be thankful for flat screens, but thosde are usually wrapped in plastic bags, guess what will trap air and keep them floating too? Cargo cube full of snack foods in poly or foil bags? Float forever, those bags won't pop or soak.
I plopped my first pair of "guaranteed waterproof" binoculars in a sink to make sure they really were, while they were still new & easily returned. Guess what? THEY FLOAT. Because of all the air inside the heavy metal and glass tubes.
Got a box full of sockets and wrenches? Heavy steel? Sure, now check out the blow-molded platic case they are in. Floatation again!
For a couple of seasons Dave Letterman had a "Will it float?" segment on. You'd be surprised at what floats, and how long it keeps floating.

David-
Tracking systems? "Hello, this is OnStar, we've been notified of a sudden airbag deployment on your yacht. Have you hit a shipping container?"
See now, the only reason that can't happen is because your yacht doesn't have a rearview mirror installed yet, does it? (VBG)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook