SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delamination issue...?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Cool Delamination issue...?

Ok all....listen to this one....
I recently recieved an estimate from my boatyard pertaining to my Cal 2-27. The deck has very minor crazing only paint deep and I planned on getting it painted either by me or hiring it out. So....I removed the stanchions and all the rails to better inspect the deck and check for other problems as well.
The estimate to remove the rest of the stuff on the deck, paint and reset everything came out to a little bit over 12K. Now as far as I know my boat is worth about 7K maximum. After declining their estimate I asked them to take a closer look at the deck and stanchions. I then recieved another estimate for 8K for them to remove a 4' by 8' section, replace the balsa (due to delamination), and then glass over it again, gelcoat and finish.
Now my questions....is it worth doing this? My boat is a 1976 Cal 2-27 in damn near mint condition inside and out. Atomic 4 in almost mint condition reinstalled in '89, re-upholstered, all the toys and electronics you could possibly imagine....
Can I get this done cheaper if it really does need to get done? I was even thinking about hiring an auto body guy to come out and glass over some areas if they really needed. Is this a good idea?
I live in Chicago. Do you guys know any freelance boat craftsmen that would do something like this cheaper??

-Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook