SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is 2 years and 1' worth ~$8,000?

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well..........for what my opinion is worth.....
No !
The O'Day *is* well appointed and has alla the add-ons; the Hunter is just as well equipped (as far as I can tell?) and has near the same space. O'day's only 8" longer and the Hunter is 3" wider ! Even-Steven, in my book. :D

All comes down ta which one ya like better and are willing to pay for (or not!) the difference.

good luck in yer decision

#4 ·
The ODay's layout has enough going for it that I'd probably lean towards that one, and it's slightly newer to boot.. Engine hours and conditions would be another factor worth weighing..

I've found that a number of that vintage of Hunters (across several models) can develop a strong odor that is difficult to get rid of.. all boats can smell to some degree but some of these (and not all) have a rather objectionable ureic smell. If this one has that syndrome it would be a deal breaker for me. Friends had exactly that model with that problem, used ozonators, bleaches, washed everything on board numerous time to no avail and ended up selling soon after. They now have a newer/bigger Hunter without that issue.

In the end, whichever of these two boats 'feels' best should be the one. You'll know in your gut, all else being equal. Even if you end up paying a few extra $K, you'll have forgotten that soon enough if you've picked the 'right' boat for you.

#5 ·
The Hunter is priced at close t fair market, the O'day seems a bunch high.

Having owned a Hunter 31 of the same year, it's nice boat, sails well and PRHF's in the middle of the pack size wise.
Both have lots of online user / owner group support.

If you need a private aft cabin, go with the O'day, if not, save the money and upgrade the Hunter with it.

#6 ·
So what is going to take 2 years?
Neither of those boats will get offers even close to their asking prices.
My guess is that you could get the Hunter for $15 and the O'Day for $25. $10K more for a pretty similar boat does not add up in my opinion. Yes, one of them is slightly newer if that is worth it to you.

Neither really appeals to me.

#11 ·
So what is going to take 2 years?
I believe the "two years" refers to the O'Day being two years newer than the Hunter. In my opinion, as boats get over 20 years of age, a year or two difference in age becomes increasingly less important than make, condition, design and equipment, particularly when comparing boats from two different manufacturers.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

#9 ·
We owned a 88 322 and I can tell you its as good as it gets in a 32' production cruiser. The boat sails very nicely and the layout can't be beat. In most cases I would choose it over a Hunter 10 times out of 10.

That said, this 322 owner is on crack. His asking price is too high by almost $10k in my estimation and there is no way you are going to be able to reach a deal on that boat for anything close to fair market.

#12 ·
Asking to asking, the O'Day is 65% higher than the Hunter - for what appears to be a very comparable boat.

A 65% difference in price should buy a LOT more boat.

#14 ·
The Oday, as has been commented on, appears overpriced. But I'll say again what I have said before - look at the boats as a collection of parts - especially the big-ticket items. 2 year difference in vintage is not a big deal, Look at:

- Overall condition
- Engine hours
- Sail wardrobe and sail age
- Standing rigging replacement date
- Age of electronics
- Any useful upgrades (e,g, chainplates replaced? Ground tackle? Windlass?)

Many of those items will set you back $000s....

Good luck!

#15 ·
Yes, I completely agree that at this age, its not the brand, its the maintenance and upgrades. Tricky part in this situation, is both have done well in these two areas.

That Pearson 30 is nice. I did not really think to look at places down the Hudsen that I can relatively easily get to Lake Champlain.

#16 ·
Look south. Boats on the lake cost a lot more. I went through this three years ago and ended up buying in NJ and sailing it up to the lake. I'm sure I spent 1/3 what I would have for a comparable boat already in the lake.

In fact, I bet one could make a profitable and fun side business buying boats on LI, CT, NJ and selling them on lake champlain.

Try calling Gaines Marina up in Rouses Point. I winter my boat there and there's a number of boats similar to the two you're looking at with for sale signs on em....

#19 ·
Impossible to say. Without looking at either boat, they are just a bunch of pictures, and claims that are largely unsubstantiated.

After carefully reading the listings, I would lean toward the Hunter, because of newER sails, and the included dinghy, as well as the asking price. That said, I believe that the O'day, which I feel is a better built boat, could be had for about the same price.

Look at both, and make an offer on the one that you like the best.

#20 ·
Hello,

I am prejudiced because I own an O'day boat and I don't like mid 80's Hunters.

The O'day is a newer design and has the rear swim / boarding platform. If you swim off the boat and / or use a mooring, the swim platform is very valuable.

That being said, the two boats are pretty comparable. Look at both and then decide.

As previously mentioned, the O'day is way overpriced.

Barry

#22 ·
I'm not gonna comment on build quality or sailing characteristics because I don't have the experience. I will say this, O'day and C&C of the late '80's where leaders on modern, what might have been called at that time "Euro" cabin design.

Walk through transoms, decent enough sized cockpits, overall head room, comfortable aft heads, aft cabins, and galleys, that worked about as well as one could expect for a boat that size. With a comfortable salon/dining on top of it all.

Find out what those 322's are actually SELLING for. I think you might be in for a surprise.

It's a buyers market right now. Don't be afraid to haggle. My advice, for what it's worth, get a survey and if there are no major issues... two hundred and twenty $100 bills in a wad might make any O'day owner think hard and fast. Then don't be afraid to walk away and let them ponder.

JMHO. YMMV.

#23 ·
I'd look at both.

We bought our boat through Bruce Hill this past August. They were very easy to work with and coordinated it so that we had several hours on the boat with the sellers at the time of closing.

FWIW, the O'Day is not priced too outrageously based on a simple search on yachtworld: O'day 322 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

Finally, I watch the craigslist boat ads for our area. Here's one that might fit your criteria: 1988 Catalina Sailboat 30' (although that's quite the head sail!)

#24 ·
I don't know, NADA average retail for the O'Day is about 23,000. Granted they are not terribly accurate, but the only instant publicly available source I know of. I also did not take the time to check any options. Boat US will do a good evaluation, but it is a manual process and takes a few days to come in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.