SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is 2 years and 1' worth ~$8,000?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is 2 years and 1' worth ~$8,000?

The ODay's layout has enough going for it that I'd probably lean towards that one, and it's slightly newer to boot.. Engine hours and conditions would be another factor worth weighing..

I've found that a number of that vintage of Hunters (across several models) can develop a strong odor that is difficult to get rid of.. all boats can smell to some degree but some of these (and not all) have a rather objectionable ureic smell. If this one has that syndrome it would be a deal breaker for me. Friends had exactly that model with that problem, used ozonators, bleaches, washed everything on board numerous time to no avail and ended up selling soon after. They now have a newer/bigger Hunter without that issue.

In the end, whichever of these two boats 'feels' best should be the one. You'll know in your gut, all else being equal. Even if you end up paying a few extra $K, you'll have forgotten that soon enough if you've picked the 'right' boat for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook