SailNet Community - View Single Post - kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!

I have a non-pressurized alcohol stove (an Origo) on my boat and the ONLY drawback I've ever found to it is that it's totally silent (that's actually a plus and a minus: I can't tell just by listening if the stove is on; but, if I'm really, really stealthy, at a dead calm anchorage I can slip out of bed at first light and quietly put on a pot of water for coffee or tea without waking The Admiral). I don't live aboard, so I might long for an oven if I did. But, there are very few things I can't cook on my Origo with a cast-iron skillet/Dutch-oven combo set. A non-pressurized alcohol stove is simpler, safer, and just as effective at cooking as propane. It may be a little slower than a "direct", non-vented kerosene stove (such as a Taylors), but faster than an "indirect", vented kero/diesel stove (such as a Dickinson "Lofoton").

If you want a kero/diesel stove with an oven, look at the Dickinson "Bristol". It's their smallest stove/oven. The stove-top does heat your pots "indirectly" (the flame heats the steel stove-top, which heats your pots and pans), so it's takes a while to get cooking from a cold start. However, it's also vented, so any odors will be minimal or nonexistent if properly set up and used.

Don't let others pooh-pooh your safety concerns. They may not have had any problems with their propane system (yet); but the folks who have had a catastrophic propane accident aren't likely to be around to tell us about it, are they?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook