SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I'm with you on the morning workout! Hauling my 45# anchor and 60' of 3/8" chain by hand is always a great way to start the day UGH.

Philyria has one of those useless roller booms. I slab reef but like the boom because it is a hefty chunk of aluminum. The roller mechanism is a waste. They were a bad idea from the git-go. Am seriously considering shortening the boom by about a foot and have actually recut a cruising main to fit a shortened boom. Once my big, battened, roached main is worn out, the next new one will be on a shorter boom.

I've been on the Yahoo group site but few people seem to use it. It would be nice to have a good official A35 site where details of projects and boat-specific info. could be shared. I see a lot of A35s on the water and can't believe the interest is not there if a website were maintained.
Did Pearson go from wood to aluminum booms? If so, when?
What is the advantage to going with a shorter boom over simply reefing early and having the extra sail for light air?
Regarding owners sites: Yankee made less than 140 Yankee 30's (my boat)before they went out of business, most of which are still sailing. I've found the owners site next to useless, do to lack of participation, and have derived much more value from Sailnet. On the other hand, I'm envious of the Erickson owners site. They were very helpful with a Ericson project I was looking at. So, I guess there is strength in numbers! As I understand it, The A35 is the same boat as the A/E 35 with the exception of 500 pounds less ballast and the coach top design on the Ericson, so it might be a valuable resource. I think they would welcome you. Very active site, great people!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook