SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

I don't know when they started with aluminum booms. If the wood booms actually weight over 100#, it was probably a good idea. The aluminum boom weighs maybe 60#. The reason people are shortening the booms is because of the weather helm issue but you are absolutely right that doing it would also lose the square footage for light air. These boats were competitive in their day and were used by a lot of club racing so they were maxxed out to specs as far as sails go. My mast still has the luff marks that indicated maximum luff length to meet race measurements. Something else to mention to folks thinking about an A35 is that they are slow as molasses compared to modern designs. That said, I remember one day heading over from the CC Canal across the bay when some of the more modern designs turned tail as the waves got larger. The old A35 took 'em in stride. I had waves breaking into the cockpit at times but she never missed a beat.

Sailnet is a great resource but there seem to be few people who ever access the Alberg thread. I see Alberg 35s wherever I go. There are still many in service. There are individual blogs and it's easy to web search for info but a central location to create a database of projects, what works and doesn't (such as boom shortening) and useful information as well as reviews on equipment, etc. would be helpful. The question above about when the boom changed would likely be available.