SailNet Community - View Single Post - Immersion Suits
Thread: Immersion Suits
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Immersion Suits

A guy friend of mine worked the CFD boats and often had to dive in Lake Michigan and the Chicago River in the winter. He told me when it was really cold he would put Vaseline on his face before going in to protect his skin from freezing when he got out. I don't remember if he said what kind of suit he wore (wet, dry, etc.) but he did say one time he had on three tanks and was underwater long enough to use up all the air. He talked about the freezing water and protecting facial skin but I don't recall him saying anything about him being cold, as in hypothermic-type cold.

This is not to challenge what's been said about immersion suits. It's just something I remembered when reading the comments here. Anyone knowledgeable about SCUBA may be able to comment about how long he might have been in the water and what kind of suit would allow him to remain in the water that long.

But if anyone here saw the Bounty show, do you remember if the crew with the "balloon feet" were wearing their suits properly? I think I remember at least one of the three interviewed for the show saying the captain ordered them into the immersion suits and they all scrambled. So they probably didn't have a lot of time before they went into the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook