SailNet Community - View Single Post - kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Re: kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Cost: Just north of 4 bux a gallon in metropolitan NY Average Kerosene Prices - NYSERDA
Much less in many areas of the world. If your travels take you through Venezuela, you can fill your 50 gallon tank for a twenty, and get change, and you will be cooking away for years to come. Beat that!

Smell: nonexistent if properly pressurized. If your kero stove stinks, you are doing something wrong.

"Blackens pots" Same thing. Only if you don't know how to operate it (not exactly rocket science: you did not preheat long enough)

"Propane fuel of choice around much of the world" Poppycock. Did you ever try to refill a propane bottle outside your home country? S'ppose not.

And of course you find kero anywhere in the world, it is the cooking fuel used by more people (billions) than any other. And if for some reason the gas station close to the port does not carry it, just go to any airport and buy jet fuel A; same thing.
Well, I live aboard and I cook on kerosene stove.
Kerosene from gas station at $4 a gallon will stink at ignition and while shutting down when pressurated kerosene escapes. And, I can feel it while burning. I keep my hatch open in winter, while cooking.
Kerosene from West Marine at $25 a gallon and from Home Deport at $15 a gallon will not stink, almost.
I have blackened everything once in a while, not often. I guess I'm bad at maintenance, but old kerosene, the one I bought at $3/gallon a year and half ago can plug the burner...
Most annoying thing is that it doesn't burn as hot as propane. I have one burner kero and I have a propane camping stove. I cook on kero, but I pull out propane when I have guests. It is just faster.
I still love my cooker. IT is simple and I always know how much fuel I have by splashing it inside of the can.I believe that kero is safer.
But I have never had a problem to refuel propane tank on my deliveries of other people boats.