SailNet Community - View Single Post - docking alone
Thread: docking alone
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: docking alone

I singlehand a lot. Trick is your midship cleat. If you dont have on put on on your jib track. This should be the very first line you grab when you hit the dock on your port side. Coundlt see if you had two poles on the finger pier.

If so attach the one end to the piling and a loop end of it the exact amount when you tie up so your stern does not hit the dock ( When leaving the last line off is this midship cleat and it goes on a hook on the piling or whip for easy grabbing when comming back. If you grab this first and put it around the midhip cleat it prevents the boat from hitting the dock or drifting out of the slip if the wind is from the stern and from encroaching on your neighbor. You can then leisurely get all of your other lines as appropriate.

The trick here is getting captured without hitting anything. I would have something along the finger pier to prevent any boo boos.

lastly we all have f,,d up coming into a dock,,,even our own. Murphy only makes his appearence ( hes in hidding) when you have an audience to watch you lay it across the outer pilings or something equally stupid. Remember to tell you un eductaed guests to jusrt sit down and keep their hands in when docking. Many a helpful guest has screwed up a perfectly fine docking by just helping.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook