SailNet Community - View Single Post - Salon cushion redo
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012
Concrete Highway Sailor

lostsheep is on a distinguished road
Re: Salon cushion redo

New foam is a bit spendy these days. Quite often foam may be revitalized by steaming. A simple garment steamer will re-moisturize the cushions, but a better method is to actually inject the steam into the center core of the cushion. Look for an upholstery shop with a pressure steamer. Also, in my shop, I always wrap every cushion with a dacron layer. This provides a bit more loft, and encourages air flow. Dacron may be purchased in a roll, usually 24 inches wide and about 20 feet long. Often you may find a shop that will sell you a slab for a reasonable price.
I use a spray (you can use a canned version) of general purpose adhesive found in most fabric stores. If the dacron is a good thickness, it can be split so not quite as thick. Spray glue on both the cushion and the dacron, place the dacron on a table and position the cushion so there is enough dacron to fold over the sides. I like to start the dacron at the top rear, and run it completely over the nose and under the bottom of the cushion. After the dacron is bonded to the cushion, trim the dacron as needed. I usually make a running stitch on each side of the dacron to keep it in place. No fancy stitching, just a simple long basting stitch.
To restuff the cushion into the cover, the easiest way is to put the dacron covered cushion int a cheap, thin garbage bag, with the open end at the rear side of the cushion. Gather the excess bag, making a temporary seal. Then use a vacuum cleaner (with a hose or tube attachment) to suck the air out of the bag. The collapsed cushion can be inserted into the cover, then simply tear the bag and pull it out. A bit of adhesive or masking tape along the path of the zipper (on the dacron) will aid in keeping the dacron out of the zipper.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook