SailNet Community - View Single Post - docking alone
Thread: docking alone
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: docking alone

We parallel dock to port and first line to deploy is our breast line. If I'm alone I run eye spliced line over the port primary, forward through genoa car amidship. Out of the cockpit, through the gate, secure to cleat. Do the same with experienced crew aboard, but for inexperienced reverse the line & have them hook the eye over the cleat, then tension on the primary from the cockpit. With the prop offset to port at boost in reverse helps kick the stern in.

Of course we don't have the tide issues inland. But we do have an unpredictable discharge up to 6 knots on the bow coming from the Welland Canal weir at Port Dalhousie. You can see the turbulance but it is always hard to judge (there is a red/green light for night docking). When the discharge rate is low we get back current aft. Docking is predictable, but every time it is slightly different - current, wind, traffic, crew. Nobody yells on the boat, just preparation, hand signals & voice and eye contact.

I cringe everytime I see someone wanting to jump to the dock, if they wait they can step off, if they are too early they are wet or crushed. Practice, practice, practice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook