View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pictures: Those perfect moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Thanks jrd22,

It is almost incomprehensible that Blackburn did several solo transatlantic crossings in small boats, wrapping the sheets around his waist, leaning back against the line pressing his arm against it to sheet it in! An amazing story. He sailed out of Gloucester. They celebrate him with a small human powered boat regatta every year. 400 or so boats paddle and row the 20 miles around Cape Anne and raise their glasses in his honor at the finish party. It is on our annual to do list.

Gloucester is a worthy destination. Down
Stories like Blackburn, the crews of square riggers rounding the Horn, Grand Banks fishermen etc. always make me wonder how they didn't die in wholesale lots from hypothermia.

Just imagine running up & down the rigging BAREFOOT in one of those ships rounding the Horn in winter. They never got dry, they never got warm - how did they avoid it? Hypothermia is no respecter of "toughness" - I've witnessed many Iron Man competitors get hypothermic after a short time in 70 degree lake water and those people are physically about as tough as it gets.

Is there a doctor in the house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook