SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yes, and they are all properly known as "geotextiles". Invented IIRC by Phillips Petroleum one of the other Seven Sisters as a road underlayment material. In the early 60's there were plans to build the big PanAmerican Highway by having huge six-lane wide machines cut and level the forest, lay underlayment for road drainage, pave it over, and leave six lanes of highway behind the machine as it ran from the north down to Tierra Del Fuego.

My, haven't we lowered our expectations.

This is all the same road underlayment, still used as a geotextile material for drainage in landscaping. The stuff under bunks is just a very expensive slice from the same big roll at the gardening supplier.

The stuff that 3M made popular for scrubbing pads, supposedly comes from 3M's great culture. Someone left a piece in the group kitchen, someone else started using it as a pot scrubbing pad, voila, millions to be made by encouraging different departments to eat and play together.
That IS part of 3M's culture - thinking outside the box. The Post-It note is a great example - a "failed" adhesive that became a ubiquitous product.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook