SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Of course, you have to sail SE to get out of Long Island Sound from New London. I don't recall seeing much, if any, SE progress long after they cleared Montauk.

How could they possibly have been able to rationally process their faith in themselves? How many indicated that they had been in a hurricane before? How many had heavy weather experience on Bounty, let alone a Tall Ship, let alone any ship?

Faith in the Captain, for sure, but that's obvious from the fact they stayed aboard. The Captain had to have given them reason to believe this was an acceptable risk.
The WC documentary said something about being around 90 miles SSE of New London. Faunt said he wasn't sure who made the decision to change course but that they headed SW from that point.

In the ABC interview one of the crew said he had been in at least two other hurricanes with the Bounty. In the WC doc, Scornavacchi and Faunt both said they had sailed in heavy weather before Sandy. Scornavacchi, after having experienced Sandy, said that they had been in weather worse than Sandy before. So at least three of the crew members testified they had been in serious storms before leaving New London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I am sorry, Julie but none were given an option to stay on shore.
They were given an option to be SACKED IMMEDIATLY!

none were offered alternate transport to the next port. they were given one hour to be thrown out of their HOME.

With NO MONEY

NO TRANSPORT

NO PLACE TO SLEEP.

Now, if I arrive at your house tonight and offer to chuck you OUT with no money, no car and no place to stay what do you do?

Mark
Mark, I am only relaying what the crew said. In both the ABC interview and the WC doc, they made it sound like Walbridge was being very understanding if anyone chose not to go with him out of New London. But I agree with you, had they chosen to stay ashore they would have been left stranded and probably been immediately replaced, that is if there was anyone hanging around the dock at the moment ready to sail into a hurricane.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook